Re: News item about ABI change

From: Wolfgang Jährling
Subject: Re: News item about ABI change
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 10:56:57 +0200

Hi Grant!

Grant Bowman <address@hidden> wrote:
> Current tarballs are in ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/hurd/debian-staging/ and
> not ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/hurd/contrib/marcus/.  Without further
> checking, people will install old Hurd systems.  Ultimately old
> documentation like this will frustrate the few users who do attempt to
> try the Hurd.

Presently, it is a requirement for users to follow at least the
debian-hurd mailing list, and for complete novices, the news item
mentions that one should read the archives, so everybody who does not do
this is on his own anyway. But still, I agree that it might be a good
idea to mention the current location, as it is the purpose of this news
item to inform users about the temporary complications they should
expect (this was the reason why I wanted to have it on the page as soon
as possible).

Marcus, when will the tarballs be available at the usual location?

> Perhaps this info could go in Neal's guide, but if this is a temporary
> situation it doesn't belong there.

I agree. It should not be in his guide.

> I did recommended that this information be included in the News article
> you just posted.  I don't mind if you choose to ignore my comments, but
> please do convey the correct information.

It's not that I did ignore your comments, I seriously considered them,
but choose not to include them for different reasons (but actually, I
included one of them). One of my reasons was that I wanted to keep it as
short as possible.

Cheers,
GNU/Wolfgang

--