Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Re: Confused on 'Classic'

From: Richard Kettering
Subject: Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Re: Confused on 'Classic'
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 14:29:33 -0600

I think this is a dangerous *absolute* to throw around. It can be good, but having similar factions can also be good. Perhaps this is something that should be dependent on ERA, not a fixed feature of the game.

Otherwise there isn't a terrible lot of point in having eras - eras exist to completely redefine the basic dynamics of the game, through the sole mechanism of providing different unit lists.

In some eras, like default, factions seem to tend towards being similar, and have units which achieve analogous functions.
Wose=Troll/Heavy Infantry/Guardsmen   Naga=Merman=Gryphon=Bat

I would like to have one era where the factions are very different - going so far as to make a separate mermen faction, and a separate naga faction. No other faction would have any water units. Needless to say, this would play poorly on some maps, but it would make for very interesting mixes, and really isn't any different from our current problem of having elves that are too good in the forest.

I'm planning on proposing some minor adjustments to the basic maps to allow for more water mobility - some, like Forest of Fear, are quite good in this regard, but others, like King of the Hill, leave certain start positions much better suited to use water units. It used to be really funny when a landlocked AI would hire mermen, and then send them across ten turns worth of grassland - I think that there should always be, for water units, a way for them to reach an opponent's *castle* that is faster than them trudging over land.