Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Re: Confused on 'Classic'

From: Yann Dirson
Subject: Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Re: Confused on 'Classic'
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 22:30:46 +0100

On Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 02:29:33PM -0600, Richard Kettering wrote:
> I think this is a dangerous *absolute* to throw around.  It can be
> good, but having similar factions can also be good.
> Perhaps this is something that should be dependent on ERA, not a fixed
> feature of the game.
>
> Otherwise there isn't a terrible lot of point in having eras - eras
> exist to completely redefine the basic dynamics of the game, through
> the sole mechanism of providing different unit lists.

Right, I concur.  We need more eras :)

> In some eras, like default, factions seem to tend towards being
> similar, and have units which achieve analogous functions.
> Wose=Troll/Heavy Infantry/Guardsmen   Naga=Merman=Gryphon=Bat

Well, I wouldn't object to Naga=Merman, but there are clear
differences between those and gryphons and bats !  All of them have
key characteristic, that make them unique, and that make the faction
unique.  I've never played much with naga/mermen, so this judgment may
not be totally accurate, but I find those 2 races to be really too
similar - maybe by looking closer I'd find out what really differences
them, but when I first saw the nagas, my feeling was they were only
introduced to counterballance the mermen in water maps in httt, and
maybe it could have been done with less similar units - at least less
similar-looking in the drawing.

--
Yann Dirson    <address@hidden> |
Debian-related: <address@hidden> |   Support Debian GNU/Linux: