Re: [Xouvert-general] Network transparentcy and modules

From: Tupshin Harper
Subject: Re: [Xouvert-general] Network transparentcy and modules
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 04:03:23 -0700

Jerry Westrick wrote:

Another insteresting topic for dicusion would be looking into better
support for VNC, which is what most people use instead of a remote
X-Server.
What would be "better" vnc support? To me, vnc support is already outstanding, and I use it frequently. However, it's paradigm is substantially more limited than using X's networking support natively. The ability to remotely run wm-unmanaged apps is wonderful, and vnc will never support that kind of thing. In addition, vnc is inherently bitmap based, and even with the various efficient compression mechanisms that it uses, it is inherently suboptimal compared with a protocol that understands more of the interface and event semantic such as X(though X is far from being optimal itself).

-Tupshin