Re: [Adonthell-devel] Rewriting C++ base code

From: Micah J. Cowan
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Rewriting C++ base code
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 09:20:07 -0700

On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 01:41:24PM +0200, Alexandre Courbot wrote:
> Fabien: Ok, I've included your patch. To my defense, drawing_area is very old
> code (more than 3 years)! :p
>
> One note: we try to avoid using std as much as possible. We had some bad
> surprises in 0.3 because of it. Of course, now that we aren't using the
> namespace the methods are defined in anymore, it's safer to do so. But when
> for only a few access to stuff defined in std, we prefer to use full
> qualification.

It's not really C++ (not ISO, anyway) unless you are using std; either
explicitly qualified, or with:

  using namespace std;

It seems to me it should be pretty easy to put a protective #ifdef
block around that. Although it is usually considered better practice
to include only those things from std which you actually need, so you
don't just glob everything into the global namespace.

And since you guys are currently targeting GCC 3.2+, std should *not*
be an issue at all.

-Micah