Re: Missing l3doc.el

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: Re: Missing l3doc.el
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2022 10:13:01 +0100

👍

> All variants are listed in the margin, while only one abstracted
> syntax is given, such as "\cs_new:Npn ⟨function ⟩ ⟨parameters ⟩ {⟨code
> ⟩}“ This is somewhat aimed towards this variants, but in my opinion,
> it should nevertheless list all variants in the mandatory argument of
> the function environment.

Thanks for your comments.  I admit I'm not that much into l3
programming.  So I suggest we try to get the basic l3doc.el running and
then look after improvements.

> But when inserting a document environment into a DTX buffer/
> file, it should at least read like this:
>
> ——8<——
> %<*driver>
> \documentclass{l3doc}
>
> \begin{document}
> \DocInput{<buffername>.dtx}
> \end{document}
> %</driver>
> ——8<——

To be honest, I'm not fond of smart tools trying to do smart things
without asking me.  You can easily write a function which does the job
for you -- this may disturb other users.

> One of the first things of a DTX file is the command \CheckSum{}.
[...]
> Next is usually the character table.  I think, it would be really
> handy, if there was a AUCTeX function to insert the complete
> table, not just the naked ”\CharacterTable{}“ command.

That ship has sailed: from doc.pdf v3.0

  While \CharacterTable and \CheckSum have been important features in
  the early days of the public internet when doc was written as the mail
  gateways back then were rather unreliable and often mangled files they
  are these days more a nuisance than any help.  They are therefore now
  fully optional and no longer recommended for use with new files.

> (eval-after-load "tex" '(progn
>        (add-to-list `TeX-command-list
>                     ;; The processor "ChangeLog" will run an
>                     ;; appropriate MakeIndex command to generate the
>                     ;; ChangeLog Index in docstrip related .dtx
>                     ;; files.
>                     '("ChangeLog" "makeindex -s gglo.ist -o %s.gls %s.glo"
>                       TeX-run-command t t
>                       :help "Create the ChangeLog in TeXDoc files"))
>        (add-to-list `TeX-command-list
>                     ;; The processor "TeXDoc-Index" will run an
>                     ;; appropriate MakeIndex command to generate the
>                     ;; Index entries in docstrip related .dtx files.
>                     '("TeXDoc-Index" "makeindex -s gind.ist -o %s.ind %s.idx"
>                       TeX-run-command t t
>                       :help "Create the Index in TeXDoc files“))))
>
> to change this manually.  It would of course be fine, if AUCTeX
> would switch to this behaviour automatically, when in docTeX mode.

Thanks for the hint.  We should consider this in a later step.

> Another theme: Inserting sectioning commands via C-c C-s.  Usually,
> AUCTeX will suggest the last used level, but in DocTeX mode,
> AUCTeX always  suggests the top most \section command, regardless
> what was used before.  Maybe the leading percent signs make the
> used sections „invisible“?

I haven't checked the code, but I think you're right about the sections
being invisible.

Best, Arash