Re: [avr-chat] ATmega644 : dual USART... or not dual usart.. that, is th

From: Uwe Bonnes
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] ATmega644 : dual USART... or not dual usart.. that, is the question !
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 13:59:34 +0100

    Vincent> Uwe Bonnes <address@hidden> wrote:
    >> In many european countries, if you order from (country).digikey.com,
    >> no shipping charges apply for orders over 65 Euro. Import duties
    >> should only be your local VAT, as you pay for any other order.

    Vincent> Yep, I purchased my AVR Dragon from the French Digikey website
    Vincent> precisely to avoid import duties, all went well until UPS
    Vincent> delivered the parcel to me, andasked me to pay twice the price
    Vincent> for the AVR Dragon, in import duties ! So what's the point of
    Vincent> having a "French" Digikey site if French customers still have
    Vincent> to pay import duties ?

    Vincent> I refused to pay the import duties, so UPS sent the dragon back
    Vincent> to Digikey, then a month later UPS asked me to pay a fortune of
    Vincent> overseas shipping charges eventhough they told me I would not
    Vincent> have to pay for it because I refused to take delivery of the
    Vincent> good and therefore was not mine legally. Then 2 months later
    Vincent> Digikey, out of nowhere, asked me to pay 20 Euro or so for the
    Vincent> return shipping fee from UPS, eventhough I had already paid
    Vincent> them to UPS direct. Result: spent 100++ Euros for a 30 Euros
    Vincent> Dragon, and I still have no Dragon.  So my first experience
    Vincent> with the pseudo "French" Digikey was not that good...

If you refused to pay the VAT for the bill, UPS was right to refuse to
deliver.  If you refused to pay the import duties, it was screwed up by UPS,
not DK. UPS likes to screw up and overcharge.

Here in Germany, UPS does the Custom declaraion. DK for a long time
only wrote "Encoterm 2000: DDP" and not "Encoterm 2000: DDP (final
destination)" and so VAT was charged on some virtual shipping charge. With
probaly some intervention from UPS, things could have been resolved, but UPS
didn't.

It took about half a year until the IT department of DK reacted and now the
bill properly declares "Encoterm 2000: DDP Darmstadt". But even with the
right declaration for the last delivery, UPS declared it wrong and VAT on
virtual shipping charges were applied. But this time my claim was acknowleged
and UPS took over ther additional charge. I hope this has cleared up for
future deliveries.

--
Uwe Bonnes                address@hidden