Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: tm_axiom

From: Mike Dewar
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: tm_axiom
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 14:14:54 +0100

On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 02:51:36PM +0200, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:
<snip>
> OK, so without any cooperation from NAG, we should probably
> drop the old tm_axiom, except if Andrey Grozin finds a way to
> keep it working.
As I've said several time already the NAG version of Axiom behaves
exactly the same way as the new version as far as I can see.  The only
difference is if you invoke it via the `sman' program rather than
directly, in which case you see two prompts, one for each frame started.
This would apply equally to both versions, unless sman is changed.

So I don't think its a question of supporting the NAG and Open versions,
its a case of whether you want to be able to use the TeXmacs interface
and sman at the same time.  I believe that our "AXIOMsys" script
provides the same functionality as your "axiom" program.

I find it frustrating to be accused of not cooperating - we have made
every scrap of source code available that we could.  Some of the
remainder we can still use ourselves but not distribute in source form.
However there is other material that we can no longer use ourselves
either, so while the idea of carrying on some kind of voluntary support
network for existing sites is nice it is completely impractical.

Mike.

http://www.star.net.uk