Re: [Axiom-developer] sourceforge/silver

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] sourceforge/silver
Date: 27 Oct 2006 20:28:39 +0200

root <address@hidden> writes:

| > When build-improvements is ready to be merged into trunk, I'll propose
| > it.  Build-improvements is ready when the TODO list has been moved to
| > "done" section and tested adequately.  If you believe you want merge
| > piecemeal, go for it.  Just beware that that is going to cause troubles
| > and I don't volunteer to help with piecemeal merges.
|
| Surely you don't mean this.

But, I do!

| In a "changeset world" which is the
| philosophical reason for changing from CVS to SVN it is accepted
| practice to apply related changes in a single changeset and separate
| unrelated changes into different changesets. Otherwise SVN and Arch
| add no value over CVS.

How is that different from what I'm saying?

I'm well aware of the changeset implications.
However, down the pipeline, humans are going to review the patch and
decide whether they want it or not.  What I'm saying is that at the
*conceptual* level, it is easier for the *humans* to deal with one
conceptual thing at the time, instead of a salad of stuff.

Many times you have asserted that people should write for the humans.
And  almost invariably, you have suggested exactly the opposite actions.
One example is the idea of writing one gigantic files that contains
everything. (Thankfully, that did not materialize yet).  In this case,
unless I'm off, you seem to suggest that just because the _machine_ is
capable of dealing with a salad of things, the humans should do it.  I
must disagree.

| Following the same philosophy one would expect that the changeset
| which modifies the Makefile mechanism would be independent of the
| changeset that modifies sttaylor or sage.

Have you seen a sage patch on build-improvements that did otherwise?

| I'm not suggesting that the Makefile-related changeset be piecemeal.

Then, we're in violent agreement on that specific topic.

Please, also keep in mind the "improving the build machinery" is not
just changing "Makefiles".  There is more to it.

| My request was that changesets which are not Makefile-related be
| made against the gold branch if possible.

Please, be more specific.