Re: [Axiom-developer] sourceforge/silver

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] sourceforge/silver
Date: 27 Oct 2006 22:10:35 +0200

"Page, Bill" <address@hidden> writes:

| Tim,
|
| On Friday, October 27, 2006 1:56 PM you wrote:
| > Gaby wrote:
| > > What you want is not to merge branch-improvements back to
| > > trunk at this moment.  Rather, you want to minimize distance
| > > as much as possible.  Concretely, that means backporting
| > > some patches on silver to that branch -- not the other way
| > > around.
| >

| Here is how I see the situation:

|             |       |            |           |
|             |       |        darcs and       |
|             |    next big =  hg mirrors      |
|             |    experiment      |           |
|  gold       |   /                            |
|  gold <---- |  /                             |
|  (52)     silver  (SourceForge) <=====> Google Code
|             |                             mirror
|             |\___merge___                    |
|  gold <---- |            \        |          |
|  (51)       |\__          |       |          |
|            /    \   back  |   darcs and      |
|  gold <---|-<----\ .....> / = hg mirrors     |
|  (50)     /      /  port |        |          |
|          |      |        |        |          |
| Now:   silver trunk    build
|          |      |   improvements
|         tla     |    /
|                 |   /
|                 |  /
|  gold <------ trunk
|  (49)           |
|                CVS
|

| What Gaby is talking about is shown as ....> above.
|
| Now is that really *so* complicated?? :-)

Hey, you should make that a PDF file and link it to the Wiki page.  It
is so useful.  I'm pretty sure Ralf would like it :-)

[...]

| > so the point of the discussion was that when we make changes
| > they ought to go into the silver branch (which is the next
| > world release) if they can. and the agreed-upon mechanism is
| > to post diff patches against Gold to the mailing list. i don't
| > see this happening and it concerns me.
| >

| Diffing patches against Gold seems problematic to me. I
| would prefer for patches to be against Silver if possible.

yes, you're right.  If we consider Gold as release branch, most
patches would be made against silver (which, in my mental model, is
the development branch).