Re: [Axiom-developer] Formal Power Series

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Formal Power Series
Date: 27 Oct 2006 23:03:06 +0200

Dear Gaby,

Gabriel Dos Reis <address@hidden> writes:

> One group is working on formal power series,

this group should definitively get into touch with Ralf, Antoine and me.

Ralf and myself have (toghether with extreme support from Christian and
Nicolas) an implementation of Combinatorial Species. This is a combinatorial
model for Formal Power Series.

Antoine has started to implement GFUN and MGFUN in Axiom. THis is for dealing
with dfinite (also known as holonomic) formal power series. These satisfy
wonderful closure properties and allow testing for zero, i.e., are
computable. I have somee ideas to generalize to formal power series that
satisfy an ADE. Although you cannot test for zero in general, they satisfy very
very nice closure properties.

Many many functions that occur naturally satisfy an ADE when regarded as a
formal power series.

Finally, there is my guessing package, which implements many features needed by
gfun and mgfun.

It would be great to put together these pieces to get something bigger.

Don't you have a spare student who would be willing to make Axiom understand
dependent types? You noticed the price I set?

Thanks,

Martin