Re: [Axiom-developer] sourceforge/silver

From: root
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] sourceforge/silver
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 16:21:32 -0400

> For me personally, autoconf support is more important than
> almost everything else, the reason being that I would really
> like to see more Axiom developers. The more standard our build
> environment is, the easier that will be. Seconly increasing
> the number of type of supported platforms is very important
> for increasing the number of Axiom users.
>
> So I am especially interested in what I labelled Gold (52)
> above, but I can live with the experimental branch until
> then.

I realize that autoconf is your golden standard and you know I believe
that it won't have a measureable effect on the number of developers.

I do think the build-improvements branch has a positive effect by
making people believe they can change the system. Unfortunately
changing Axiom is easy but showing that you didn't break anything is
hard.  A lot of my changes are not posted because there are many
things to check.  Though I have a lot of experience with Axiom I
cannot answer Gaby's questions without study and experiment. I don't
think autoconf is going to change that.