Re: make dist fixes

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: make dist fixes
Date: 09 Feb 2002 02:08:16 +0100

Hi Eric,

On Fri, 2002-02-08 at 20:14, Eric Blake wrote:
> Actually, the bug was in jikes 1.15, and is still in the jit.  JLS 13
> requires that compilers emit method references relative to the class
> that qualifies the method invocation, even if that class only inherits
> the method.  It is then up to the VM to correctly track inheritance
> issues when resolving method calls.  Sun's javac 1.3 also had this bug,
> JDK 1.4 compiles the way jikes 1.15a does (ie. Encoder8859_1.loadTable).

That (and the example) seems to make sense. But it also means that we
don't have one bug in jikes, but two bugs, one in ORP and one in gcj
byte code generation. Sigh.

That basicly means we don't recommend jikes 1.15a for this Classpath
release and ORP 1.0.9, or we wait for a new ORP release with a fix.
Hmmmm. I would opt for releasing now and adding a note about this
problem (with newer versions of jikes and ORP) to the README/INSTALL
file. Or we could try to produce a patch for ORP, but I am not sure that
is very easy.

Cheers,

Mark