Re: make dist fixes

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: make dist fixes
Date: 09 Feb 2002 03:18:49 +0100

Hi,

On Sat, 2002-02-09 at 02:16, Eric Blake wrote:
> Keep in mind that a workaround for this is to explicitly qualify the
> method with the desired class (ie. the one where the method is actually
> defined).
>
> In other words, instead of
>   Encoder8859_1.loadTable()
> in the source code, use
>   EncoderEightBitLookup.loadTable()

O boy, a workaround that can be put in the Classpath code.
And it works! (for HelloWorld, I still haven't setup Mauve for more
extensive testing). Great! I can checkin that workaround for the
encode/decode code.

What are your thoughts on jikes 1.15a (CVS) is it better then jikes
1.15? Do you want to make a (semi) release of that code?

> I'm not familiar with the ORP code, but these workarounds shouldn't be
> too hard.

I did look briefly at the ORP code and it isn't that dificult. The code
can be found in common/class_loader/Resolve.cpp and Class.cpp. I think I
understand what goes wrong (the method gets looked up by going up in the
class hierarchy, but then the constant pool of the original referenced
class seems to be used) but I haven't actually tried to change/fix the
code.

> Do you want me to file a PR for the gcc bug?  I've yet to get a working
> compile of gcj on my cygwin box, so I'm not sure how well I would do on
> bug reporting.

I think your explanation plus example is good enough to put in the bug
database (maybe with a reference to the email that showed the bytecode).
That way the issue will not be forgotten.

I am afraid that gcj does not yet compile on cygwin, although there is
currently a lot of work done to get it to compile on Windows (if mingw
is the same kind of thing as cygwin).

Cheers,

Mark