Re: make dist fixes

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: make dist fixes
Date: 08 Feb 2002 19:56:55 -0700

>>>>> "Mark" == Mark Wielaard <address@hidden> writes:

Mark> I think your explanation plus example is good enough to put in
Mark> the bug database (maybe with a reference to the email that
Mark> showed the bytecode).

I concur.  Eric's email was certainly enough for me to understand the
problem.  Eric, would you mind simply pasting the text of your email
into a new gcj Gnats PR?

Mark> I am afraid that gcj does not yet compile on cygwin, although
Mark> there is currently a lot of work done to get it to compile on
Mark> Windows (if mingw is the same kind of thing as cygwin).

Sort of.

Adam's work is targeted at being able to build a linux-x-mingw
toolchain.  This means you'll be able to run gcj on Linux and have it
generate a Windows executable.

After his work you still won't be able to build a native Cygwin (or
Windows) compiler.  There are still some remaining compiler bugs
relating to case-insensitive file systems.  (The ongoing Darwin port
avoids this by requiring you to use a case-sensitive fs.)  (The bugs
are probably not too hard to fix, but nobody has seriously looked into
it.)

Tom