Re: make dist fixes

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: make dist fixes
Date: 08 Feb 2002 15:42:36 +0100

Hi Brian,

On Fri, 2002-02-08 at 06:00, Brian Jones wrote:
> For me, make distcheck fails for unknown reasons at this time

distcheck fails for me with a 'Error: files left after uninstall'
since all files (classes) that where unpacked from the zip file are
still in the install directory after an uninstall. That is annoying but
not very bad.

> I've placed a pre-release file at
> ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/classpath/classpath-0.03-pre1.tar.gz

Tried it on my main development machine and compiling went all OK.
But when trying out orp I got

$ mains/orp/Linux/dbg/orp -swapjit 0 1 -classpath $CLASSPATH Hello

Linking error: ???? (6) while resolving method at constant pool index 33
in class gnu/java/io/encode/Encoder8859_1

Linking error: ???? (6) while resolving method at constant pool index 33
in class gnu/java/io/encode/Encoder8859_1

Fatal error: can't compile gnu/java/io/encode/Encoder8859_1.<clinit>()V

I am going to check what went wrong.

When I tried the build on a machine without jikes and zip installed
something went wrong. The build automatically used gcj to compile the
classes (good). But since $(ZIP) was not defined it then gave the
following error:

r -D glibj.zip gnu java javax > /dev/null
/bin/sh: r: command not found
make[1]: [glibj.zip] Error 127 (ignored)

configure should complain about the absence of zip.

> In the time I have, I could not make it possible
> to include generated JNI header files, so a user would need gcjh if
> configuring with --enable-jni

I don't think that is a very big problem. Most people that are trying
Classpath now probably have gcc installed.

Cheers,

Mark