Re: recent change to yanking behavior of the clipboard

From: tomas
Subject: Re: recent change to yanking behavior of the clipboard
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2022 06:52:31 +0100

On Mon, Feb 07, 2022 at 01:29:45PM +0800, Po Lu wrote:
> >FWIW, I don't think we are attempting to "wag the dog" here, in terms
> >of influencing the X foundation [...]

> FTR, I didn't make any change to which selection is used by default, and Noah
> is the only person who complained about the change that I did make.
>
> I was trying to discourage users from enabling `select-enable-primary', which
> Lars disagreed with.  It was turned off by default in Emacs 21, where Emacs
> switched to the now-standard behaviour by default.

One of those default discussions, sigh :)

FWIW, I'm one of those having set `select-enable-primary' to t (after a
short period of swearing and trying to understand what happened).

I do understand the choice of the default. I'm happy and thankful that
there is a cop-out.

Psychologically it is extremely... challenging that something "stops
working" under you, and you don't even know how that something is
called. Perhaps that's part of the reason for the sometimes strong
reactions elicited by some changes.

I don't have a solution for that; IMHO Emacs is doing extremely well in
that department compared to other applications.

Thanks, folks.

Cheers
--
tomás