Re: recent change to yanking behavior of the clipboard

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: recent change to yanking behavior of the clipboard
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2022 14:49:20 +0200

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: Noah Friedman <noah@splode.com>,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2022 11:48:45 +0800
>
> On X, every program is supposed to follow this:
>
>   https://specifications.freedesktop.org/clipboards-spec/clipboards-spec.txt

These rules changed some time ago; previously, X applications behaved
differently (e.g., copy/paste used PRIMARY etc.).  Emacs originally
behaved like the other X apps before the change.  We then switched to
the new behavior in Emacs 24.1, to follow suit, but left behind user
options to allow users to get back the old behavior.

Since we didn't decide to drop the old behavior, I think we should
continue supporting it with the new features, at least as opt-in.