Re: recent change to yanking behavior of the clipboard

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: recent change to yanking behavior of the clipboard
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2022 14:43:43 +0800

<tomas@tuxteam.de> writes:

>> I was trying to discourage users from enabling
>> `select-enable-primary', which Lars disagreed with.  It was turned
>> off by default in Emacs 21, where Emacs switched to the now-standard
>> behaviour by default.

> One of those default discussions, sigh :)

None of us are questioning the default here, I was simply trying to
discourage people from doing that.

> FWIW, I'm one of those having set `select-enable-primary' to t (after a
> short period of swearing and trying to understand what happened).
>
> I do understand the choice of the default. I'm happy and thankful that
> there is a cop-out.

Now that the last holdouts (Qt) have dropped their options to even
revert to the old interpretation at all, I see no point in continuing to
set `select-enable-primary' to t, since all that accomplishes is to make
Emacs less interoperable with other programs.

If someone still wants to turn it on, nothing stops him from doing so.
However, the behaviour of his desktop will become undefined, and other
programs will stop working correctly.

Thanks.