Re: recent change to yanking behavior of the clipboard

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: recent change to yanking behavior of the clipboard
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2022 21:17:40 +0800

> Some of those specs talk about interaction with other programs, in
> which case we should arguably follow them to be good neighbors.  But
> other parts talk about the UI and only affect the contract between the
> application and the user.  We have no obligation to follow those
> parts, tho of course it might make a lot of sense to make the default
> behavior follow those specs to avoid surprising the user.
>
> The change under discussion here was motivated by an optimization, so
> presumably it should not affect the interface between the user and
> Emacs, but only between Emacs and the system.  So IIUC this is a part
> where the spec is indeed very relevant and we should strive to follow
> it.  But I must say I don't know which part of the spec the change is
> related to.  Could you clarify?

It's not related.  Here I'm trying to convince people to not enable
`select-enable-primary' lightly, since that breaks other programs.

There seems to be a lot of bad advice floating around, and that's one of
them.

> These seem to only affect the contract between the user and Emacs, so if
> the users change them to their default, that can only hurt themselves.
>
> And AFAICT our default settings don't violate those parts 3, 4, and 5,
> so we're fine.
>
> And of course I still can't see in which way this relates to
> commit 99c637499e.

It doesn't relate, but I thought you were referring to the choice of
selection in the message I replied to earlier.