Re: Emacs Survey 2022 - 1st question

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Emacs Survey 2022 - 1st question
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 10:16:49 +0300

** Which of the following activities do you use Emacs for?
:MultiSelect:Mandatory:
- [ ] Work
- [ ] Hobby projects
- [ ] *other*

The question is vague, rather general. Some people will say "work" for
hobby projects. In my life I work what I like, and I make money too
and on hobby projects there is some money, so is it work. For me that
question is vague.

It is interesting that the whole survey is not talking about "text
editing" -- I understand, this is Emacs, but you should be talking
about text editing so much more. Text editors are about text.

In that above question, in the context of the question, I suggest that
you expand it to following (while editing my English):

** Which of the following activities do you use Emacs for?
:MultiSelect:Mandatory:
- [ ] I use it as employee on my job
- [ ] I use it in my personal business or company
- [ ] I use it as student or pupil in school
- [ ] I use it for scientific research
- [ ] I use it for art related activities
- [ ] I use it for my hobby projects
- [ ] *other*, specify which: ________________

People do science which may not be necessarily "work" in their sense,
as we speak of global Emacs users. Work is too general. Try to make it
more specific, there is different work when somebody is employed,
there is different nature of work when somebody is self-employed or
businessman, students have their "works" too, scientific research is
not necessarily the main "work" of the person, art is free to
everybody, it could be considered work, it could be considered not, my
point is that you should give more specifics, as that is what you wish
to get with the survey.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns