Re: Emacs Survey 2022 - 1st question

From: Timothy
Subject: Re: Emacs Survey 2022 - 1st question
Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 01:14:19 +0800

Hi Jean,

Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:

> It is interesting that the whole survey is not talking about “text
> editing” – I understand, this is Emacs, but you should be talking
> about text editing so much more. Text editors are about text.

If there are any specific questions you think would be good, please suggest
them.

> ** Which of the following activities do you use Emacs for?
> :MultiSelect:Mandatory:
> - [ ] Work
> - [ ] Hobby projects
> - [ ] *other*
>
> The question is vague, rather general. Some people will say “work” for
> hobby projects. In my life I work what I like, and I make money too
> and on hobby projects there is some money, so is it work. For me that
> question is vague.
>
> In that above question, in the context of the question, I suggest that
> you expand it to following (while editing my English):
> [*snip]

To me it seems like your suggestions conflate work and the nature of one’s
work. Since we ask that later anyway, I don’t think having that extra
specificity here is actually of much benefit. E.g.

> - [ ] I use it as student or pupil in school

To me seems equivalent to use=work + job=student.

All the best,
Timothy