Re: Inequalities in math blocks

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: Inequalities in math blocks
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 19:02:05 +0700

On 12/10/2021 08:11, Nick Dokos wrote:
Rudolf Adamkovič writes:
Max Nikulin writes:

Though I am a bit surprised that Org did not replace characters to
<  and > during export. Perhaps, it is possible to define a
filter.

That makes sense, and thank you for the explanation. Ignoring the dead
link in the Org manual, I wonder how this bug can even exist in Org
after 15+ years of development. Some people, including the author of
TeX himself, write TeX without unnecessary whitespace. Strange! Either
way, rearranging bullet points should never break math without any
visual sign inside of Emacs. Thus, this represents a bug in Org. R+

No, it does not. Org mode just passes LaTeX directly to MathJax
without changing anything. If you want to blame somebody, you can
blame HTML for choosing < and > as its delimiters: see

http://docs.mathjax.org/en/latest/input/tex/html.html#html-special-characters

Nick, I am sorry, but I do not see your point. Do you know any reason why Org properly escapes "<>&" in text but transparently passes them to HTML inside LaTeX fragment? Does escaping them everywhere lead to problems?

From the referenced document (I posted this link on 2021-10-03):

you need to be careful that your mathematics doesn’t look like HTML tags
to the browser, which parses the page before MathJax gets to see it.
you can use the HTML entities &lt;, &gt; and &amp; to encode these
characters so that the browser will not interpret them, but MathJax will.

I fail to see any reason to blame HTML. Any text markup language requires some easily typed special characters. Org has one set of them, HTML another one. Export backend should just respect delimeters of the target format.

I understand expectations and thus complains of Rudolf. In my opinion he has reasons to be disappointed (and maybe even angry to some degree). It looks like a bug in Org that should be fixed. Workarounds exist but Org should be more reliable.