Re: [fluid-dev] trying to make fluidsynth on mac os x

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] trying to make fluidsynth on mac os x
Date: 24 May 2003 11:38:03 -0700

On Fri, 2003-05-23 at 16:47, Joe Corneli wrote:
> > add the directory "/sw/include" to the list of configure include
> > directories. This can be done like
> >
> > ./configure CPPFLAGS="-I /sw/include" LDFLAGS="-L /sw/libs"
>
> Thanks for the quick reply -- but it didn't work; I got a message that
> said that the C compiler couldn't produce executables. (Also with just
> the CPPFLAGS override & also with changed spelling libs -> lib.

Hmm. It often helps to look at config.log, it should contain details of
errors that occur. And yes, it should be "lib" and not "libs". Thats
weired though, I don't think those two switches should cause the C
compiler to fail, but the config.log will probably shed some light on
that.

> Other suggestions?  Can't I just copy the needed header files to the right
> folder? (I was playing around with that earlier, it didn't
> work.  Or maybe edit the makefile directly (I'm playing around with that
> now).

Well, the Makefile is generated by automake, which uses Makefile.am as
the template, so thats usually the file you want to change. Although you
will need automake and autoconf to rebuild them. I don't think it should
be necessary to change those though.

The readline stuff is being included like:
#include <readline/readline.h>

So the directory to include should be where the "readline" directory is
(which I thought would be /sw/include).

If you can get the headers included then the compile time #includes will
be satisfied, you then need to get the library include path correct so
the final link stage can link to the readline library.

> Joe

You could disable readline support (like Frank Barknecht mentioned),
which I think will disable the command line client. Probably not what
you want though, if you are using FluidSynth stand alone. Cheers.
        Josh Green