Re: [fluid-dev] trying to run fluidsynth on mac os x

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] trying to run fluidsynth on mac os x
Date: 29 May 2003 14:44:31 -0700

On Thu, 2003-05-29 at 14:14, Joe Corneli wrote:
> Hey Josh,
>
> As you guessed from the new subject line,  I got fluidsynth
> to compile.  Yay!

Cool :)

> BTW, I had to change the LIBS tag everywhere in configure
>
>    LIBS="-lpthread -lgnugetopt $LIBS"
>
> and rerun configure & make -- for whatever reason your suggestion
> about running the linking command
>
> > gcc -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -funroll-all-loops -finline-functions -Wall
> > -W -Wpointer-arith -Wbad-function-cast -Wcast-qual -Wcast-align
> > -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-unused -Winline -o .libs/fluidsynth
> > fluidsynth.o -L/sw/lib -L./.libs -lfluidsynth -lm -lreadline -lncurses
> > -lpthread -l[gnu]getopt
>
> from inside src and then re-running make just ended up producing
> the same error as before.

Hmm. Guess it may have been related to other link stages as well.

> But that is all behind us now... and as I had feared, I now
> have a run-time problem.
>
> [fluidsynth-1.0.1]%fluidsynth
> fluidsynth: error: Couldn't find the requested audio driver:
> Failed to create the audio driver
>
> I had a nagging suspicion that I would have a problem like this.  I wonder
> if there is an audio driver that will work.  Presumably there is
> _something_, but I don't know what it is.  None of the drivers suggested
> by `fluidsynth -h` are available through Fink, probably that means they
> aren't available.  Maybe I'll just have to wait a while...???

You shouldn't have to wait :) I think the coreaudio driver is the one
for Mac OS X. Looks like the autoconf stuff might be broken for this
option though (normally I think you would pass --enable-coreaudio to the
configure script). For now you can just edit src/config.h and change:

/* #undef COREAUDIO_SUPPORT */

to:

#define COREAUDIO_SUPPORT 1

Then recompile with "make". Re-running the ./configure script will trash
your changes to config.h, so keep that in mind.

> Joe
>
> FYI, Fink does provide GTK 1.2 --
>
> % fink list gtk
> *snip*
>  i   gtk+                          1.2.10-15              The Gimp Toolkit
> *snip*

How easy are packages in fink to install? I'd like to get an idea of
what it would entail to get Swami running for Mac OS X users. Cheers.
        Josh Green