[fluid-dev] trying to run fluidsynth on mac os x

From: Joe Corneli
Subject: [fluid-dev] trying to run fluidsynth on mac os x
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 16:14:08 -0500 (CDT)

Hey Josh,

As you guessed from the new subject line,  I got fluidsynth
to compile.  Yay!

BTW, I had to change the LIBS tag everywhere in configure

   LIBS="-lpthread -lgnugetopt $LIBS"

and rerun configure & make -- for whatever reason your suggestion
about running the linking command

> gcc -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -funroll-all-loops -finline-functions -Wall
> -W -Wpointer-arith -Wbad-function-cast -Wcast-qual -Wcast-align
> -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-unused -Winline -o .libs/fluidsynth
> fluidsynth.o -L/sw/lib -L./.libs -lfluidsynth -lm -lreadline -lncurses
> -lpthread -l[gnu]getopt

from inside src and then re-running make just ended up producing
the same error as before.

But that is all behind us now... and as I had feared, I now
have a run-time problem.

[fluidsynth-1.0.1]%fluidsynth
fluidsynth: error: Couldn't find the requested audio driver:
Failed to create the audio driver

I had a nagging suspicion that I would have a problem like this.  I wonder
if there is an audio driver that will work.  Presumably there is
_something_, but I don't know what it is.  None of the drivers suggested
by `fluidsynth -h` are available through Fink, probably that means they
aren't available.  Maybe I'll just have to wait a while...???

Joe

> Thanks for prevailing with getting FluidSynth running in OS X, it will
> help other OS X users as well. Some time I'd like to look into getting
> my application, Swami (http://swami.sourceforge.net) working on this
> platform. I'm sure this is probably rather easy to do, but would require
> getting GTK1.2 running. If I had my hands on an OS X box I'd probably do
> it

FYI, Fink does provide GTK 1.2 --

% fink list gtk
*snip*
 i   gtk+                          1.2.10-15              The Gimp Toolkit
*snip*