Re: [fluid-dev] Re: Last QSynth issues committed

From: Rui Nuno Capela
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Re: Last QSynth issues committed
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 08:47:32 +0000

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 19:02:19 -0800, address@hidden wrote:
> I committed some additional changes which reverts the work that was
> done with Reverb/Chorus in regards to queuing the events and
> processing them in synthesis context.  They are now processed
> immediately and with a mutex to ensure multiple threads don't try to
> assign values at the same time.  Therefore chorus/reverb should not be
> assigned from synthesis context if real time is a concern (noted in
> the API reference), which shouldn't be a problem.  I looked over the
> Chorus and Reverb code and from what I can tell, there shouldn't be
> any crash issues in regards to interactions between assigning
> reverb/chorus and the synth thread, but there are still synthesis
> artifacts, especially with Chorus.  To be fixed later and probably as
> a side effect of them being replaced by something better.
>
> I noticed in QSynth that it is not using the full ranges of the Reverb
> and Chorus.  Especially in the case of Reverb, which probably accounts
> for the reason why the reverb controls don't seem to have much effect.
>
> Reverb:
> roomsize: 0.0 - 1.2
> damping: 0.0 - 1.0
> width: 0.0 - 100.0
> level: 0.0 - 1.0
>
> QSynth only uses 0.0 - 1.0 for all parameters.

not quite. parameters are in deed normalized and stored in 0.0 - 1.0 range
for configuration persistence store. a scale factor of 100.0 is in effect
at runtime. actual parameter limits are imposed by the gui widget itself
though.

> Chorus:
> nr: 0 - 99
> level: 0.0 - 1.0
> speed: 0.29 - 5.0
> depth_ms: 0.0-21.0 is safe for sample rate values up to 96KHz
>
> Looks like QSynth goes up to 100 on the "nr" parameter and 10.0 on the
> level parameter.  The other ones seem OK though.

seems like these reverb and chorus ranges/scales changed from previous
fluidsynth versions (<1.1.0) and reading from the above i would say that
they have changed quite radically for some of them.

will try to cope with these new figures (please confirm the actual values,
please)

bbl
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela