Re: [fluid-dev] Re: Last QSynth issues committed

From: josh
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Re: Last QSynth issues committed
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 19:02:19 -0800

I committed some additional changes which reverts the work that was done with Reverb/Chorus in regards to queuing the events and processing them in synthesis context. They are now processed immediately and with a mutex to ensure multiple threads don't try to assign values at the same time. Therefore chorus/reverb should not be assigned from synthesis context if real time is a concern (noted in the API reference), which shouldn't be a problem. I looked over the Chorus and Reverb code and from what I can tell, there shouldn't be any crash issues in regards to interactions between assigning reverb/chorus and the synth thread, but there are still synthesis artifacts, especially with Chorus. To be fixed later and probably as a side effect of them being replaced by something better.

I noticed in QSynth that it is not using the full ranges of the Reverb and Chorus. Especially in the case of Reverb, which probably accounts for the reason why the reverb controls don't seem to have much effect.

Reverb:
roomsize: 0.0 - 1.2
damping: 0.0 - 1.0
width: 0.0 - 100.0
level: 0.0 - 1.0

QSynth only uses 0.0 - 1.0 for all parameters.

Chorus:
nr: 0 - 99
level: 0.0 - 1.0
speed: 0.29 - 5.0
depth_ms: 0.0-21.0 is safe for sample rate values up to 96KHz

Looks like QSynth goes up to 100 on the "nr" parameter and 10.0 on the level parameter. The other ones seem OK though.

Cheers!

Josh