Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFS web site

From: Chris Croughton
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFS web site
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 16:07:16 +0100

On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 03:32:08PM +0100, Jason Clifford wrote:

> Perhaps if the list were presented as a numbered index it might address
> your concerns like so:
>
> 1. The freedom to run the program, for any purpose (freedom 0)
> 2. The freedom to study how the program works, and adapt it to your needs
> (freedom 1)
> etc.
>
> Optionally the bracketed numbers could be specifically listed as "GNU
> freedom 0", etc. Would that be a solution that would work for people?

That would work for me (with a paragraph pointing to where the "GNU
freedoms" can be found), it makes the points that (a) it's a list,
conventionally numbered; (b) it is derived from another established
list; (c) (which is not a point being made) we can rearrange our list in
a different order if we like while referring to the original.

The latter point means that we can present the list in an order which
will interest the target audience.  For instance, only hackers are
likely to be all that interested in "studying how the program works"
(GNU freedom 1) but everyone is likely to want to know that it can be
freely redistributed (GF2) and improved and bug-fixed and those
improvements distributed (GF3).  So I would put something like this:

  When we refer to "freedom" of software we distinguish four fundamental
  aspects, all of which are essential for a program to be described as
  "free software".  These are based on and refer to the GNU ones at
  http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html, and are as follows:

  1. The freedom to run the program, for any purpose (GNU freedom 0).

  2. The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor
     (GNU freedom 2).

  3. The freedom to improve the program, and release your improvements
     to the public, so that the whole community benefits (GNU freedom 3).
     Access to the source code is a precondition for this.

  4. The freedom to study how the program works, and adapt it to your
     needs (GNU freedom 1).  Access to the source code is a precondition
     for this.

Chris C