Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFS web site

From: Kirsten Naylor
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFS web site
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 11:45:42 +0100 (BST)

Andrew,

> Starting at zero is something you do if you are
> programming, but that is
> it. So please, let's get rid of it.

No matter how much you protest, free software freedoms
are for historical reasons numbered from zero.  The
man who came up with it all did it that way in the
beginning, and since people respected his work, they
have preserved it.  Lots of things are done a
particular way for historical reasons, with entirely
neutral consequences... like mounting a horse from the
left for example; that is the side it is correct to
get on from, simply for historical reasons (you can't
get on a horse from its right if you are wearing a
long
sword on your left side, as you would if you were
right
handed).  We don't wear swords now, but the method is
preserved, as it really doesn't matter one way or
another.

Similarly I do not believe that the numbering system
has any detrimental effect on the promotion of free
software.  It does not matter one way or another, and
I cannot take seriously your notion that "the man in
the
street" (whoever that might be) would be unable to
comprehend the list of freedoms because of it.  Of
course, AFFS *could* change the numbering (since it
is irrelevant) but that creates a gap between AFFS and
other free software organisations, which would not
be comfortable for AFFS.

> not need cheap gimmicks
> like geek counting in order to put the point across.

What started as quite a civilised discussion now has
degenerated into slagging off.  It would be really
nice
if that didn't carry on.

Thanks,
/Kirsten

=====
"If I were a penguin, and this were my pile of rocks, I'd be virtually
irresistible."

Yahoo! Plus
For a better Internet experience
http://www.yahoo.co.uk/btoffer