Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFS web site

From: Andrew Savory
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFS web site
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 10:50:34 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 2 May 2003, Ramanan Selvaratnam wrote:

> So do we hav to patronize them as if they cannot count?

It is they who will patronize us, for we are demonstrating an inability to
use the English language and to communicate with them effectively.

> Starting at zero is a different point of view and could be helpful in
> catching some attention before going on about sotware patenting issues.

It's not a "point of view".

If you hold up your hand and say how many fingers and thumbs, and then
proceed to count them, do you say "0, 1, 2, 3, 4"?

If you are counting as you deal a deck of cards, do you say "0, 1, 2,
...51"?

Do you say "there are 364 days in the year, including 0"?

Starting at zero is something you do if you are programming, but that is
it. So please, let's get rid of it.

> Further, is it not that the zeroth freedom stands out in that it is
> applicable to everyone, even the '(wo)man in the street'? ...as unusual
> in software terms as much as it is unusual for one to count starting at
> zero.

That freedom should stand on it's own merits, and not need cheap gimmicks
like geek counting in order to put the point across.

Andrew.

--
Andrew Savory                                Email: address@hidden