Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFS web site

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFS web site
Date: Fri, 02 May 2003 11:39:34 -0000

Andrew Savory <address@hidden> wrote:
> It's not a "point of view".

Actually, it is.  There are two axiomatic number sets, the "natural" numbers
N and the non-negative integers Z+.  Properties are defined on both of these
arbitrary sets to create a field and from that to construct our number
systems.  When enumerating a set, normally either N or Z+ is used, but the
choice is pretty arbitrary, I think.

This is not relevant to the inclusion of "freedom 0" though.  Most
non-programmers use N when enumerating (even statisticians unless it's
simpler to use Z+), but if we use that, we conflict with the original
work's use of Z+, so it's probably best to omit it, IMO.

Given that it's been a while since I learnt the above and it seems not
to be taught at A-level any more, it is likely that I've fluffed the
jargon.  Please correct me off-list, as it a side issue.  I'd like to be
corrected, though.

--
MJR   http://mjr.towers.org.uk/   IM: address@hidden
      This is my home web site.   This for Jabber Messaging.

How's my writing? Let me know via any of my contact details.