Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFS web site

From: Andrew Savory
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFS web site
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 12:16:21 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 2 May 2003, Kirsten Naylor wrote:

> No matter how much you protest, free software freedoms are for
> historical reasons numbered from zero.

Fair comment, but my argument is that if we want wider understanding and
adoption of what we're promoting, then we need to accept that numbering
from 0 causes confusion and detracts from the cause:

- a lay person would see it and ask "why 0?"

- we then have to explain to the lay person "why 0" instead of explaining
to the lay person "why freedom"

- the lay person realises that the numbering is simply a "geek thing",
which in this case carries negative connotations (similar to "train
spotter")

- we lose the impact of our initial arguments about freedom.

> Lots of things are done a particular way for historical reasons, with
> entirely neutral consequences...

Yes. And lots of things are changed despite having the weight of
historical inertia biased against change. My argument is that there are
negative consequences to not making that change.

> I cannot take seriously your notion that "the man in the street"
> (whoever that might be) would be unable to comprehend the list of
> freedoms because of it.

I'm not saying they won't be able to comprehend the list: I'm saying that
it detracts from the cause and carries negative connotations.

> that creates a gap between AFFS and other free software organisations,
> which would not be comfortable for AFFS.

There are already lots of different free software organisations, all
preaching slightly different messages. To me, it's more important to get
the word out and make people understand the four freedoms than it is to
make sure we're completely in step with all the organisations in all the
countries. What works for, say, the USA is not necessarily what works in
the UK. It's a question of understanding the local public perception.

> > not need cheap gimmicks
> > like geek counting in order to put the point across.
>
> What started as quite a civilised discussion now has degenerated into
> slagging off.  It would be really nice if that didn't carry on.

Hey, I'm a geek, and I guess most of us on this list are, so it's not
intended as slagging off.

Andrew.

--
Andrew Savory                                Email: address@hidden