Re: [Fsfe-uk] Membership

From: Ramanan Selvaratnam
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Membership
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 17:24:59 +0100

ian wrote:

[...] Associate members would be sort of sleeping supporters. Bit
like signing a petition but would remain members until they decided to
resign. ie unless they make the effort to opt out they are in and stay
in. This means we don't have to have complicated systems of renewal.

If we were to build up an electronic system to scale for the many number of users Ian is talking about then a lot of new possibilities can be explored.

I have not had a chance to become a MandrakeClub member, yet.
They operate a nice model ....club members vote for new software within the Mandrake software repository. Now, if we could get something like this done and complement it with any expertise that we might have in helping schools customise software, then the message of free software systems will spread very fast and accurately.

Mozilla also has a voting system for feature requests.

If we can hone the security with the best trust metics available , who knows we will be runnig the next general elections too ;-) (Seriously electronic voting is coming and it is a seperate plus point for free software in government)

Regards,

Ramanan