Re: [Fsfe-uk] Membership

From: Andrew Savory
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Membership
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 13:11:26 +0100 (BST)

Hi,

On Fri, 23 May 2003, Ciaran O'Riordan wrote:

> To get mass-membership we can't charge fees, MJ Ray suggested
> that permission to publisize data could be the fee.  To keep
> a revenue stream, how about having this kind of member and
> also having "Supporting Members" that pay, say 25 pounds?

Seems fair, if we think we'll need it. There hasn't been much call for a
revenue stream so far though, so I'd suggest we carry on at 10 pounds
until we think we'll need more money. The lower the fee, the more likely
it is for people to just decide to become a full member and pay up.

> (btw, the masses that we hope will join won't be very
>  knowledgable about FreeSoftware issues.  Should they be
>  allowed to vote?  I suggest that they shouldn't.)

No, they shouldn't be allowed to vote. If they are associate members, they
get free entry to everything (that requires only membership), they get to
attend the AGMs, but no voting.

How does that sound?

Andrew.

--