Re: [Fsfe-uk] Membership

From: Ramanan Selvaratnam
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Membership
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 13:42:58 +0100

To get mass-membership we can't charge fees,
or as Ian put it (when starting off this thread w.r.t school teachers who might become loosely associated with us)

'lower the barriers and pile 'em high'.

The automated facility and its ease of use  for associate membership of the FSF
is what might be a useful reference.

Yes we should not charge fees for associated members (or some other type of
membership we will have to come up with).
Also what we should promote as benefits will have to be different.

[...]
(btw, the masses that we hope will join won't be very
knowledgable about FreeSoftware issues.  Should they be
allowed to vote?  I suggest that they shouldn't.)

I Agree.

Also we should not encourage anyone to join ...only specific people who must have atleast some loose association with free software. IMHO, school teachers will qualify automatically as they teach the next generation of software users and as all software should be free (as in freedom) in the future. There might be other exceptions that I cannot think of. All the rest will have to pay up.

Second, a problem:
There is no code at http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/fsf-online/

The problem is definitely to do with time constraints of the very busy author. If the needs be, I am willing to help this project page be more helpful by joining as a volunteer.

Ciaran O'Riordan