Re: [Fsfe-uk] Membership

From: ian
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Membership
Date: 24 May 2003 11:39:00 +0100

On Sat, 2003-05-24 at 10:52, MJ Ray wrote:
> Andrew Savory <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Seems fair, if we think we'll need it. There hasn't been much call for a
> > revenue stream so far though, so I'd suggest we carry on at 10 pounds
> > until we think we'll need more money. The lower the fee, the more likely
> > it is for people to just decide to become a full member and pay up.
>
> Two things:
>
> 1. What to do with the money?  As soon as I've finished counting it, I'll
> say exactly how much there is, but it's probably time to start picking
> things to use it for.  Ideas welcomed.

Look to use it to increase the membership because that would help
generate more and also give more political clout.Once there is
sufficient funding use it to fund key free software projects.

> 2. I'd rather not call non-paying supporters members at all, as that's
> probably going to get messy.  Can you pick another title?

OFSET (Organisation for free software in education and teaching) has 3
types of members

honor members
active or adherent members
benefactor members.

Honour or honorary members don't pay membership fees but are chosen on
merit by the association. The only reasons I can see for having
non-paying members is to add credibility or to recognise great work. If
boosting the numbers is to be able to say we have a membership of X and
its growing rapidly, not using the word member effectively defeats the
object. If its to recognise great work the same really.

Not saying AFFS should copy OFSET, just pointing out that different
categories of membership is very common in organisations in general. The
rational judgement is to decide based on which strategy best furthers
the organisations long term goals.

BTW, I accept I'm the newbie here so I'm just trying to be helpful, its
obviously up to the AFFS as a whole to decide the way membership is
organised. I just know that on a national scale numbers make a
difference to getting heard.

--
ian <address@hidden>