Re: [OT electronic voting"] - was Re: [Fsfe-uk] Membership

From: Ramanan Selvaratnam
Subject: Re: [OT electronic voting"] - was Re: [Fsfe-uk] Membership
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 10:47:15 +0100

Richard Smedley wrote:

If we can hone the security with the best trust metics available , who knows we will be runnig the next general elections too ;-) (Seriously electronic voting is coming and it is a seperate plus point for free software in government)

``A secure Internet voting system is theoretically
possible, but it would be the first secure networked
application ever created in the history of computers''
- Bruce Schneier

[...]

[yes, Free Software would obviously be better than
anything else here, but the practical problems are
almost insurmountable]
Some interesting and relevant party political developments on this, across the atlantic can be found here

<http://gp.org/press/pr_05_21_03.html>

Plenty of talk and useful links on vote counting and manipulation.

Whether we like it or not it is a matter of time before this becomes a talking point among the political circles here. IMHO it will be a good idea to have some docs up on the related technical issues ...especially as there was a mention of electronic voting at the AFFSAC.

Regards,

Ramanan