Re: [Fsfe-uk] Membership/Recruitment

From: Ramanan Selvaratnam
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Membership/Recruitment
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 21:46:20 +0100

Alex Hudson wrote:

On Tue, 2003-05-27 at 20:28, Ramanan Selvaratnam wrote:
AFFSED, AFFSEN, EdIG etc should be only for the backend (for all of us who want more acronyms :-)

I think they're only being used in this context as a shorthand - I think
they have all been defined previously in the thread(?).

The word 'thread' itself, in IT terms can be scary for many :-)

Let me share this experience....
Last Sunday I introduced this quite competent PC owner/user to Mandrake GNU/Linux. But only when I pulled out my CDs and tried to partition his hard drive (after about an hour of chat about freedom this and that) did he realise that linux was not something to do with ADSL!!! instead part of a complete OS. But he caught up quickly when the proprietary ADSL modem driver issue came up. Infact I learnt today that he has installed the system onto two of his friends.

Moral: People tend to nod their head when actually they are getting tired of IT related terms and do not understand me... but with examples they do get the point.

Certainly, we wouldn't use language like that on the web pages (unless -
again - previously defined).
Now, that is one of the plus points  with AFFS and related webmasters.
....good clean, clear and usable websites. Actually a huge plus point that should be harnessed ti the maximum.

But in any mailing lists for new associate members we have to maintain some strict policies. Possibly moderated(?)