Re: [Fsfe-uk] Membership/Recruitment

From: Imran Ghory
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Membership/Recruitment
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 23:10:26 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 28 May 2003, MJ Ray wrote:

> Kevin Taylor <address@hidden> wrote:
> > The UK LUGs already know AFFS exists [...]
>
> Some of the main people involved do, but I get the impression that
> most LUGs only really realise what AFFS is when we go and talk to
> them in person.  I think that the high membership from LUGs that we've
> visited (eg Anglia, South Birmingham, London) is an indication of that.
> If anyone wants us to speak at their local LUG, please let us know and
> we'll see what we can offer.  I don't think all lugs are represented on
> the lugmasters list, are they?

I'm the events officer for Bristol University's student computer society,
and if anyone from the AFFS wants to give a talk at Bristol I'd be happy
to make arrangements.

> > Does the AFFS have any official contact with the UKUUG (other than people
> >  who happen to be a member of both organisations)?
>
> I don't think so. It's probably kind of tricky for us to do much with
> a group that promotes proprietary systems, isn't it?  I'm not saying
> there's nothing we could do, though, if there was interest.

Actually they do promote open source as well, for instance with the annual
UKUUG Open Source Award which is awarded for the most
significant contribution to open source made by a UK student.

Imran
--
http://bits.bris.ac.uk/imran