Re: [Fsfe-uk] Membership/Recruitment

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Membership/Recruitment
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 23:48:35 -0000

Kevin Taylor <address@hidden> wrote:
> The UK LUGs already know AFFS exists [...]

Some of the main people involved do, but I get the impression that
most LUGs only really realise what AFFS is when we go and talk to
them in person.  I think that the high membership from LUGs that we've
visited (eg Anglia, South Birmingham, London) is an indication of that.
If anyone wants us to speak at their local LUG, please let us know and
we'll see what we can offer.  I don't think all lugs are represented on
the lugmasters list, are they?

> Does the AFFS have any official contact with the UKUUG (other than people
>  who happen to be a member of both organisations)?

I don't think so. It's probably kind of tricky for us to do much with
a group that promotes proprietary systems, isn't it?  I'm not saying
there's nothing we could do, though, if there was interest.

In practical terms, they've never answered my emails to them in the
past and never approached us as a group.  Rather odd, as I'm fairly sure
one of their prominent members is on this list and was involved in the
initial discussions that led to AFFS being formed, though...

      http://mjr.towers.org.uk/   jabber://address@hidden
       Thought: "Changeset algebra is really difficult."