Re: [glob2-devel] scripting language

From: martin . voelkle
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] scripting language
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 10:04:15 +0200

Selon Martin Nyffenegger <address@hidden>:

> Hello
> Little thought about scripting. If speed is an issue, and language also:
> Why dont we simply design a C++ framework ?

As long as you keep scripting for maps, speed is not an issue. C++ is awfully
unfriendly for map designers.

>  From the point of view of the script, Glob2 could the be seen as a
> library, and the script compiled with gcc.

Depending on a compiler would be a very bad design decision, without even
considering portability issues.

> The compiled script can then be dynamically loaded at runtime.
> Serialisation of objects is possible, so the state can be saved/
> restored ...

You can't store/restore a whole native execution stack and heap.

> Since my idea of having a very easy understandable scripting language
> seems to be abandoned anyway ...

It isn't. What makes lisp hard to understand is its syntax, not its concepts.

Martin