Re: [glob2-devel] scripting language

From: Bo Lorentsen
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] scripting language
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 13:44:31 +0200

Martin Nyffenegger wrote:

Doesn't exist actually ! It's more of a feeling...

Ahh, ok ...

Tough question. I think I wanted to create a language that even a non- programmer can understand (that's why SGSL didn't have any loops at first, only actions and wait statements). But I'm aware that tis probably is not possible...
Now Easy would be more like Python or PHP.

What makes these languages easy ? The syntax, there libraries or just a "feeling" ?

Did you take a look at an SGSL code yet ? I still am convinced that it's edition has to be more or less graphical (to position the areas, and flags for instance) which isn't possible yet (you have to declare the areas with coordinates wich is a pain...)

A have been looking briefly at SGSL, and noticed the lag of control structure and other "fun" things :-)

What I wanted to do was not to take any existing scripting language just because it felt pretty and neat. I wanted something designed specifically to control the globulation universe (a highly tuned language).

What is "highly tuned" in your opinion ?

When TEA was created I made it in a way that it was easy to adapt to a given environment (the language is small, but with an OO adaptable type system), but what would the language need to be designed specific for globulation ?

I didn't succeed in my first attempt (although I still think that SGSL is simple and easy for many simple scenarios as the one you find in Starcraft for example). I just don't have the time now to think about it and design a new one...

Languages are a big and time consuming (and fun too) issue, so I understand your problem. But I like the idea of having TEA as part of this project if I am able to adapt it to the project.

But I would be ready to take a look at any proposal.

Nice to have a open mind !

/BL