Re: [glob2-devel] scripting language

From: Martin Nyffenegger
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] scripting language
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 14:10:44 +0200

Tough question. I think I wanted to create a language that even a non- programmer can understand (that's why SGSL didn't have any loops at first, only actions and wait statements). But I'm aware that tis probably is not possible...
Now Easy would be more like Python or PHP.

What makes these languages easy ? The syntax, there libraries or just a "feeling" ?

Syntax. And the language is kept simple (no dynamic class typing, nor diamond heritage structures, nor virtual functions)

What is "highly tuned" in your opinion ?
see below...

When TEA was created I made it in a way that it was easy to adapt to a given environment (the language is small, but with an OO adaptable type system), but what would the language need to be designed specific for globulation ?

Highly tuned is the contrary of TEA. I mean designed specifically for Globulation. It's what I tried to do with SGSL but I was young and inexperienced at that time... I would like a language that is intrinsically bound to glob2, it's universe, and it's possibility. But in the other hand I know of no game where this was done, so I can't really give a concrete example.

(I really should concentrate on my work here...)

Barock