Re: [glob2-devel] scripting language

From: Hein-Pieter van Braam
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] scripting language
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 14:37:46 +0200

Well, time for me to butt in, because I basically started this whole ordeal ;)

On Tuesday 24 May 2005 14:10, Martin Nyffenegger wrote:
> >> Tough question. I think I wanted to create a language that even a
> >> non- programmer can understand (that's why SGSL didn't have any
> >> loops at  first, only actions and wait statements). But I'm aware
> >> that tis  probably is not possible...
> >> Now Easy would be more like Python or PHP.
> >
> > What makes these languages easy ? The syntax, there libraries or
> > just a "feeling" ?
>
> Syntax. And the language is kept simple (no dynamic class typing, nor
> diamond heritage structures, nor virtual functions)
>
> > What is "highly tuned" in your opinion ?
>
> see below...
>
> > When TEA was created I made it in a way that it was easy to adapt
> > to a given environment (the language is small, but with an OO
> > adaptable type system), but what would the language need to be
> > designed specific for globulation ?
>
> Highly tuned is the contrary of TEA. I mean designed specifically for
> Globulation. It's what I tried to do with SGSL but I was young and
> inexperienced at that time... I would like a language that is
> intrinsically bound to glob2, it's universe, and it's possibility.
> But in the other hand I know of no game where this was done, so I
> can't really give a concrete example.
>
> (I really should concentrate on my work here...)

SGSL is really nice for glob2, that wasn't the reason why I was contemplating
replacing it with something else, what I wanted to do is have a complete
script engine for every aspect of the game, and try and move ALL the game
logic to a script engine, that is why I was thinking about LUA as it is
EXTREMELY easy to implement for glob2, it would require a lot of code
changes, but it could very well make all the other ideas on the roadmap a lot
easier to do.

I basically would like the glob2 c++ part to be an environment for games, not
a game as such, the game itself would be implemented in a scripting engine,
such as stratagus. I think it is feasible and, since I consider the glob2
engine to be a lot more versatile (at least from a graphics point of view) I
think the glob2 PLATFORM could become pretty popular.

SGSL might even have a place here, as it could STILL be used to for map logic,
if we pimp it a little. What I currently see as a good point about SGSL is
that it is EASY to use even for non-programmers, it's like basic, but EVEN
easier. and that is a very good point imho, as it is also pretty easy to
generate. Like I was thinking about making a tool for the editor to make the
areas with a brush style.

but this could also be done with LUA of course, if anyone ever used flash or
other timeline-based interfaces, thats what I would like to do with the glob2
editor. Make it a bit like making a flash movie.

Bottom line, just replacing SGSL as a map scripting language is in my opinion
quite pointless. SGSL does its job, even if it's a bit ugly, but we can
improve that.