Re: [glob2-devel] Embedded scripting language

From: Andrew Sayers
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Embedded scripting language
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2005 08:51:28 +0000

Embedded scripting language:

The real problem with an embedded scripting language is that you have to
write bindings into every part of the program, which means you have to
have a strong understanding of every part of the program.  I'd love to
see an embedded scripting language in Glob2, but it seems to me that
right now, anyone with a strong understanding of any part of the program
is better off documenting/testing/rewriting it than adding scripting
support to it.  Personally, this is something I wouldn't get around to
for a very long time, but I would be quite happy if anyone had a
different analysis :)

Incidentally, I've said this many times before, but my personal
preference is for a LISP-related language such as Lua, because it makes
it easier to do interesting things with evolving genetic algorithms for
globs.

Random map generation:

The random map generator now works in 0.8.16.  Having looked briefly at
it, the making a good random map is very hard, and involves a lot of
complex maths.  It's a problem where the language you choose is almost
irrelevant, as 90% of your code will be mathematical statements.  If
this is something you feel strongly about, I suggest you have a go at
modifying the current random map generator or making a new one.

        - Andrew