Re: [glob2-devel] Embedded scripting language

From: Bo Lorentsen
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Embedded scripting language
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2005 19:09:03 +0100

Stéphane Magnenat wrote:

Basically, as glob2 is synchronous, we need a script that:
- execute the same on all computers (that forbides any use of float)
- has a state that can be stored or reloaded
I think this is the most "special feature" that the glob2 demands of a scripting language. To be able to execute only a limited and controlled number of steps, and in the same time, also being able to persist this together with the context and other runtime values, are quite demanding :-) I think this is a interesting idea to implement, but it is also demanding a very high level of control over the language VM.

Lua is a good script, and we were also thinking of squirrel, sort of "next generation lua" (http://www.squirrel-lang.org/). We still don't really now if the the point above are ok with squirrel, we have asked on their forum but until now we didn' get any answer (Marv correct me if I'm wrong)
I think non of these will be able to do these tricks, without rewrite of some of the language core, and this goes for python too.

But, what would happened if this execute step control, was droped ? What are other RTS games doing to get this level of control ?

/BL