Re: [glob2-devel] New gameplay element idea

From: MUNTEANU Olimpiu Andrei
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] New gameplay element idea
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2005 18:47:00 +0100

Stéphane Magnenat wrote:

Here is a new gameplay element I would like to present to you. Its purprose is to increase the set of strategic action players can do and thus, if it works as planned, make the game even more interesting :-) In the same time, it should also improve the ambiance.

The idea is to add a new building, the singularity obelisk (the name is not definitive ;-)) that would allow any globule to instantly travel to any other obelisk, always using the optimal one. This can be not-too-hardly implemented by modifiying the gradient computation system so that when it encounters an obelisk, it looks around all other obelisks belonging to this player or its allies (obelisk sharing being a question to discuss) to see if there is a lower value for its target (or higher, depending the gradient algorithm conventions).

Of course, an obelisk would be hard to build, and perhaps would consume, let say, papyrus ;-) (so that the Archwizards in it can write and cast spells to maintain singularity). We could even imagine to make the obelisks quite dangerous so that if they reserve of papyrus fall to zero singularity collapses and make a lot of damage around.

What do you think of this idea ?

Steph

Its a good idea regarding speed too. We can change the way we see the map. Why not make this obelisk make a light around at a very big distance. We can make all other buildings without any flag.

The rules should be:
- if the player has no obelisk, he will be able to place one for free, or the last obelisk a player has cannot be destroyed, and the player can move it into a region already explored for free. - if the obelisk is inside a region that is already iluminated by some other obelisk, it will cost a few money
 - if the obelisk is far in the dark, it will cost a lot much more

Then the gradint of a building will only be computed in the area that is illuminated by some obelisk that iluminated the building (one or more). This way we do not have to compute gradients for the hole map. For all other regions, the globule will have to travel through an obelisk, we nead only one gradient to go to that obelisk.

This also means players will not be able to atack without building an obelisk. Other solution is to build global gradients for atack flags that are in the dark. This gradients will not nead much recalcualtion since the destination is not a resource.

We laso nead global gradients for obelisks that are build in the dark, only while they are constructed. No building should be alowed in the dark since buildings do not make light any more.

This will improve the speed on big maps, but will change also the gameplay.