Re: [glob2-devel] Embedded scripting language

From: Martin Voelkle
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Embedded scripting language
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 09:23:39 +0100

> > Exactly. Determinism can be dropped if the script is executed on one
> > host only.
> >
> >But saving and restoring state is a must have if you want to keep the
> >scenario state on the execution stack:
> >wait(condition)
> >do(something)
> >wait(other condition)
> >do(something else)
> >

> Ahh, so you wish to use "wait" like in the old days when we in windows
> (16) used "yield" to let other programs get some processor time. The
> only difference is the demand/need to persist in between waits ?

Yep. At least to _be able_ to persist, in case the user saves the game.

> I thought it had something to do with the network part of globulation to
> let all machines execute the same amount of functionality per node
> regardless of the hardware configuration, as a kind of fairness balancer :-)

Actually, the current script execution limit is a fixed arbitrary
amount of instructions and has nothing to do with execution time. But
a dynamic limit could be computed between the different hosts of a
game in order to lower the script execution time if one of the hosts
is too slow.

Martin