Re: [glob2-devel] Cheap trick :p

From: Bradley Arsenault
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Cheap trick :p
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 18:58:12 -0800

On 1/22/06, Matthew Marshall <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Sunday 22 January 2006 22:28, Bradley Arsenault wrote:
> > On 1/22/06, Matthew Marshall <address@hidden> wrote:
> > > It might be annoying for you, but for the guy doing it, it's a blast!!  I
> > > remember making maps specifically with this sort of thing in mind.  :)
>
> > So that entire maps strategy is about getting towers onto your walls
> > so that you have a base to build in?
>
> Not quite.  The two bases were simply separated by stone (as you mention) so
> that you simply had a little less space if you lost the race.  And, it seems
> like I remember winning despite losing the space :)

Kyle has a very un-varied strategy, after a few things he does he does
the some things each match. He ran out of food, again. He nearly
destroyed me at one point, I don't doubt the fact that he had twice
the space of me didn't have an effect. I was saved when ion started
attacking him and he reeled his units out, and i put up a tower to
defend the wheat he was taking from me.

> > I think the game shouldn't allow
> > such cheap, quick and easy ways to gain an advantage, although its not
> > all up to me.
>
> "game shouldn't allow"
>
> I disagree here.  IMHO, the game should allow flexibility and variety in the
> maps.  As it is now, you can classify the maps two ways in this respect: maps
> that allow this 'cheap trick' and maps that don't.  If the game would not
> allow things like this, you suddenly limit the variety.  Thus, you limit
> replayability.

It should allow a variablility in strategy, yes, but really, cheap
tricks are just annoying, especially when there is nothing you can do
but launch a full blown attack to counter them, (I did, at several
points I had 20 non-level 1 units at his base at one point to get
those damn towers), but he already had an advantage as the towers had
kept me from putting up anyhting important on one half my base, such
as another swarm, which he did have and thus had a much larger army.

Another cheap trick is described in another thread, and imo that would
be trully annoying, its an instant win.